Official Caffarella Valley & Appia Antica Bike Tour
Do you want to satisfy both natural and archaeological interests? The Appia Antica and the Caffarella Valley are just what you need.
We’ll start our ride at our information center at Via Appia Antica to dive into the valley where alpacas, horses and rabbits will await you. You’ll get familiar with the history and legends of the Nymphaeum of Egeria and the sacred woods, connected to the alleged love between the nymph and the second king of Rome, Numa Pompilio.
Once we’ve left the Caffarella Valley, we’ll head back to the Appia Antica to admire the first 3 miles of the Regina Viarum, a unique and unmatched project stretching out for 350 miles up to Brindisi, done day by day as the Romans occupied new territories up to its peak.
A history full of battles, love, betrayals and anecdotes leading to the private Circus and Villa of the emperor Massenzio, the Tomb of Cecilia Metella and the private bath complex of Capo di Bove. And then, the countless sepulchers and villas lining up the road that witnessed all kinds of events: from the Roman kingdom to the Grand Tour of 1800 during which painters and artists from all Europe got here to be inspired and bring forth their masterpieces.
- Departure / Return Point: Via Appia Antica, 58/60 Centro Servizi Appia Antica
- Duration: 3 hours
- Distance: 4 miles / 6km
- Difficulty: Medium
- Sites visited (free): Villa Capo di Bove
- Accessibility: Dirt road, cobblestone, Roman basalt, asphalt
- Recommended age: 12+
- Professional guide
- High quality e-bikes/bikes
- Helmets, locks & maps
- Child seats up to 20 kg (upon request)
- Depart from EcoBike Information Center
- Caffarella Valley: Nymphaeum of Egeria (open air)
- Circus and Villa of Maxentius (inside)
- Tomb of Cecilia Metella (outside)
- Capo di Bove Bath Complex (inside)
- Return to EcoBike Information Center
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.